Fidelity to the Word
Our Lord and His Holy Apostles at the Last Supper


A blog dedicated to Christ Jesus our Lord and His True Presence in the Holy Mystery of the Eucharist


The Lord Jesus, the same night in which He was betrayed, took bread, and giving thanks, broke, and said: Take ye and eat, this is My Body which shall be delivered for you; this do for the commemoration of Me. In like manner also the chalice.

Sunday, January 07, 2007

The Baptism of the Lord

Baptism of Christ

The Baptism of the Lord is celebrated today, according to the new Roman missal, or on Saturday, according to the traditional Roman missal. Eastern Catholics refer to this event as the Theophany, meaning "the manifestation of God", because the three Holy Persons of the Blessed Trinity were revealed together, as recounted in the Gospels.

Traditional Gospel reading:

The next day, John saw Jesus coming to him,
and he saith: Behold the Lamb of God,
behold him who taketh away the sin of the world.
This is he, of whom I said:
After me there cometh a man,
who is preferred before me:
because he was before me.
And I knew him not,
but that he may be made manifest in Israel,
therefore am I come baptizing with water.
And John gave testimony, saying:
I saw the Spirit coming down,
as a dove from heaven,
and he remained upon him.
And I knew him not;
but he who sent me to baptize with water,
said to me:
He upon whom thou shalt see the Spirit descending,
and remaining upon him,
he it is that baptizeth with the Holy Ghost.
And I saw, and I gave testimony,
that this is the Son of God.

John 1:29-34


New Gospel reading:

The people were filled with expectation,
and all were asking in their hearts
whether John might be the Christ.
John answered them all, saying,
“I am baptizing you with water,
but one mightier than I is coming.
I am not worthy to loosen the thongs of his sandals.
He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire.”

After all the people had been baptized
and Jesus also had been baptized and was praying,
heaven was opened and the Holy Spirit descended upon him
in bodily form like a dove.
And a voice came from heaven,
“You are my beloved Son;
with you I am well pleased.”


Luke 3:15-16,21-22

+++

(Latin Catholics in the United States celebrate our Lord's baptism tomorrow. Eastern Catholics celebrated it yesterday. It is a big Church).

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home